Saturday, January 24, 2009

Finding My Voice

I often ask myself, what components formulate a powerful voice? I proudly admit that I do have a powerful voice; however, it is often difficult for me to tap into my voice. Somewhere in the abyss of trying to sound intelligent, avoiding active/passive voice transgressions, attempting to lace in humor while fusing in a somewhat advanced vocabulary, I get lost. I find myself lost in transition from turning a monumental concept into a verbal or written expression. I consider my favorite musical artist Richard Smallwood. Even though I have never met him, with ease I can pinpoint ANYTHING he has written, simply based on the way the chords are voiced. This is the type of consistency I want my voice to have. I realize the more that I write, the more defined my voice will become—which is why I am writing this blurb in the first place, LOL. It also means a lot to me to have a trustworthy voice. If I DO indeed master the craft of honing in on my voice, I want the voice to be one that can be trusted. There are many voices that are cemented, but are not trustworthy (i.e. Rush Limbaugh, Anne Coulter, Howard Stern). These individuals have huge platforms and extremely consistent voices, but the quality of the verbiage which protrudes form their voice is often condescending, misleading, and at times, deceptive. As I continue to practice on finding MY voice, I ask for any feedback that could assist me in this tedious process.

No comments:

Post a Comment